Experienced Flight Software Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
This unique opportunity is part of the Autonomous Systems Division, which is responsible for technology development, advanced concepts, design, development, delivery, integration and test, verification and validation, and operation of Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Hardware, Flight Software, Power Systems, Robotic Systems, and Guidance and Control.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
JPL’s Electronics Design Validation & Test Group plays an essential role in the Flight Electronics Section. As a Engineering Applications Software Engineer, you will work with test leads to design, integrate and execute test plans and procedures for specialized, mission-critical hardware and software systems used for avionics and flight system verification.
Our customers include flight software delivery managers, product delivery managers, system testbeds, verification and validation engineers, system integration and test and mission operations managers.
In this role, you will collaborate with other engineers supporting the Europa Clipper mission.
This role is ideal for a candidate who can closely work with other engineers in order to successfully meet the demands of flight projects. The job entails understanding existing test software infrastructure (hardware interface and user experience), trading options between internal and external software solutions, and architecting/implementing new as appropriate for this project. In addition, this position will support all test software activities for the CDH (Command and Data Handling) hardware testing.
- Develop test software and infrastructure.
- Deploy and support software for the end-user.
- Perform hardware/software and system level integration and test, including resolution of technical issues.
- Develop, test and execute plans that will meet the requirements of the validation effort.
- Document products within design documents and user manuals.
- Integrate and compile software applications.
- Develop and present review materials at formal project review milestones (PDR, CDR, etc.).
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Software Engineering, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; or Master’s degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or a PhD in similar disciplines.
Specific qualifications include:
- Proficiency in one or more high-level general-purpose programming languages, such as C/C++, Java, Perl, Python, or similar language.
- Proven experience developing in Tcl and or Perl scripting language.
- Solid understanding of UNIX or Linux operating systems.
- Demonstrated experience in developing/executing software on VxWorks platform and other real-time operating systems.
- Ability to incorporate network architecture considerations into software designs.
- Successful customer relations experience, including user interface requirements development.
- Proven experience:
- with software design, configuration management and testing.
- integrating and testing hardware/software interfaces.
- with digital electronics at board, unit and system level; digital data busses and protocols.
- preparing highly complex test procedures and test scripts for functional, performance and/or environmental testing.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other engineers and management to resolve anomalies, complex and critical issues and aide data analysis for testing summaries and reports.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated effectiveness in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently under a set schedule.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with existing commercial test software products.
- Experience with HTML/CSS.
- Ability to effectively capture customer requirements.
- Basic understanding of system engineering and development process.
- Strong interest infusing new approaches to software computing into legacy developments.
- Experience with Spacewire protocols and data architecture, MIL-STD-1553 protocols.
- Advanced knowledge of JPL and NASA practices and standards as they relate to test bed activities is strongly preferred.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109