Mechanical Engineering - Part-time Internship
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Mechanical Systems Engineering, Fabrication & Test Division - the place where spacecraft are born! We engage in research, technology development, and the creation of advanced mechanical, thermal, propulsion, and electronic packaging systems from architectural concept through operations.
We lead the mechanical development and implementation of flight hardware and technology for NASA's robotic space missions as part of the Engineering and Science Directorate. Our expertise spans the full breadth of mechanical disciplines.
Members of this team investigate, plan, design and develop mechanical products and systems such as spacecraft, instruments, robots, packaged electronics, controls, engines, and machines, and mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, propulsion, or heat transfer systems for the production, transmission, measurement, and use of energy. They maintain cognizance of and are responsible for all technical and programmatic aspects of the product being developed, reporting the status and performance to the appropriate organizations. Teams apply research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines, and/or machines.
What it takes:
- Must be currently enrolled at least half-time at a local accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelor's degree or Graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Material/Science, Physics, Robotics, Structural Engineering, or related technical discipline
- Must be available to work part time between 8 to 30 hours per week during the school year
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: mechanical design, computer aided design (CAD) and mechanical analysis tool (FEA).
- Coursework providing an understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in mechanical systems including structures, configuration, mechanisms, structural analysis, and integration and test.
- General knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in mechanical design.
- Minimum GPA 3.0/4.0
What would help:
- Experience with computer aided design and drafting, and spacecraft flight hardware development and test. Working knowledge of mid-level CAD tools (i.e. Solidworks, Unigraphics).
- Relevant internship experience
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Ability to solve mechanical design problems, perform trade studies, develop design requirements, perform piece part design, and coordinate fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
- Good verbal and written communications skills with ability to work in a team environment.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109