Facility Systems Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As a Facility System Engineer III, you will be working for JPL’s Deep Space Network (DSN) Systems Engineering Group (SE), which provides high level technical guidance and performance measurements for the spacecraft to mission data center link, part of space communications. This includes specializations in up and downlink coding & signal processing, mechanical engineering, RF engineering, and 34 meter to 70 meter antenna engineering.
In this role, you will work on commercial and industrial facilities systems (Power, HVAC, control) within the DSN. The ideal candidate must be a proactive individual who can work independently and in a team environment and be able to lead tasks across a spectrum of disciplines with government and non-government organizations.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Develop functional requirements and associated documents for the DSN.
- Analyze and present the performance of all subsystems within the facilities discipline.
- Lead new task formulation and prioritization efforts while working closely with the DSN management and complexes overseas.
- Estimate and budget facilities for upgrades and modifications.
- Risk management – identify, evaluate, and submit risk items to the DSN Risk Management board.
- Lead or participate in design reviews.
- Lead projects both at the requirements and task management level.
You Must Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with typically a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Master’s degree with a minimum of 4 years related experience; PhD with a minimum of 2 years of related experience.
- Wide-ranging knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Electrical/Power Engineering
- Industrial Controls Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Significant understanding and application of the interaction of facilities disciplines on critical systems and operations.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to deal with multiple issues, task, and priorities concurrently.
- Ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization and multiple disciplines.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Available for domestic and international travel.
Got These? Even Better:
- Experience in all phase of the design, development, construction, and testing of industrial or commercial facilities.
- Experience in the development of testing/commissioning plans.
- Experience in mission critical environments.
- Experience in industrial controls and networking.
- Experience in system architecture and requirements derivation.
- Demonstrated skills in leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience working with architectural and engineering firms as well as specialty contractors.
- Knowledge or experience with civil, HVAC, or industrial security preferred.
- Knowledge or experience with microwave transmissions or other telecommunications.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109