Business Administration Manager (Section 356)
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Business Administration Manager will have previously demonstrated a strong, collaborative, team player philosophy and spirit, with excellent teaming and communication skills, professionalism, a strong work ethic, and the ability to provide excellent customer service. Also, have experience in implementing business operation innovations resulting in process improvements and increased efficiency. The Business Administration Manager will report to the Division BAM.
Business Administration Manager will be specifically responsible for:
- Management and guidance of section 356 business operations including financial, human resources, workforce, acquisitions, facilities, safety & property management.
- Collaborating with the technical section management on long range strategic planning and participate in the development and implementation of the organization’s objectives and goals.
- Responsible for the section’s operations budget while managing and providing in-depth performance reporting and financial oversight to the section’s business base.
- Serve as a focal point for financial communications to line management and administrative staff, project business staff (PRA & PSA), project management staff and other business organizations as needed, and will be called upon to make authoritative budgetary recommendations.
- Responsible for hiring and retaining a diverse, highly qualified administrative staff, and for providing career coaching, growth and personal development opportunities.
- Serve as a primary information source for interpreting Laboratory policies and procedures for the section and will help ensure employee awareness and compliance with Laboratory practices and regulatory requirements.
- An advisor on sensitive HR issues such as employee relations, workforce planning, and compensation.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BS/BA) in Business or a related field with 9 years’ experience; Masters or related field with 7 year's experience; PhD or related field with 2 year's experience, including at least 2 years of leadership experience, required. Advanced degree (MS/MBA) with project management experience is preferred.
- Strong Leadership and Management experience is preferred.
- Must possess strong analytical and financial skills in conjunction with excellent communication, training and presentation skills.
- Must have the ability to describe complex issues clearly and effectively with all levels of employees and management including the ability to analyze, interpret, synthesize and effectively present complex information at key leadership meetings.
- Must be a proactive leader that is able to identify, lead and support change and continuous improvement within own section and the wider JPL organization.
- Able to act as liaison to other Laboratory organizations, including representation and participation on various committees and will foster, maintain and utilize cross-organizational relationships to enact strategic initiatives.
- Must be proficient in the use of business applications software and possess the ability to use JPL’s specialized project management and financial applications.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109