Systems Engineering - Summer Internships
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
WHO WE ARE
At JPL, the Systems Engineering and Formulation Division is the core center for excellence and innovation of systems for ultra-reliable robotic and human-robotic space exploration. Our products and services focus on the project, flight system and payload levels of a system. We provide leadership in systems engineering across the project lifecycle – from formulation of mission concepts through development, testing and launch. Our Division serves the entirety of the Laboratory’s business base, including planetary exploration missions, earth science missions, astrophysics missions, technology demonstration missions and collaborative human-robotic missions. Additionally, we apply model-based engineering as a means of enabling continued advances in systems and software for complex missions.
- We design future space science missions - missions that study the earth, the rest of the solar system, and the rest of the universe
- We design planetary landers, atmospheric probes, and sub-surface probes
- We design airborne and space borne systems to study the earth, including the water cycle, the carbon cycle, and global climate change
- We design future space systems and other advanced observing systems such as space based telescopes to explore heliophysics and astrophysics science along with the search for exoplanets
- We integrate, test, and launch advanced spacecraft, including orbiters, landers, rovers, and probes
We are proud of our world class talent and continuously seek to inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
WHAT WE OFFER
- JPL SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
You can be part of JPL’s Summer Internship program which is a full-time internship opportunity during the summer months for undergraduate, and graduate students. Summer interns gain practical work experience that they can apply to their studies when they return to school in the fall. Opportunities in engineering include:
- Entry, descent, and landing systems
- Systems analysis and modeling
- Software systems engineering
- System integration and test
- Systems verification and validation
- Project and flight system engineering
- Space mission formulation
- Payload systems engineering
- Spacecraft design and assembly
As a summer intern you will receive guidance and support from a JPL advisor to help strengthen your skills and develop your career path. You’ll also build relationships and experience through networking events, seminars, tours, informational interviews, technical training, and more. This is your chance to join an innovative team that dares mighty things every day.
WHAT IT TAKES
- Must be currently enrolled in a college or university pursuing a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD majoring in Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Systems Engineering, or related disciplines.
- Must be able to work full time (40 hours/week) for 8-12 weeks during the summer.
- Must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 out of 4.0 GPA.
WHAT WOULD HELP
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Team player with strong collaboration skills
- Related internship experience
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109