IT Data Scientist - Level II
Are you passionate about using data to make the world a better place? We believe that data can transform the way our employees work and how managers make decisions. We are looking for someone who loves making an institutional impact with data wrangling, statistical modeling, and crafting beautiful data visualizations to help make this happen! As an added bonus, our work supports the scientists and engineers at JPL who are working on awe-inspiring initiatives such as determining how to explore Jupiter’s icy moon Europa, measuring climate change on Earth, and searching for life in the universe. Come join us as we strive to use data to make JPL an amazing workplace for everyone!
The IT Data Scientist will primarily reside in the Enterprise Business Information Services (EBIS) Division within a small team of IT Data Scientists. Under the direction of the lead IT Data Scientist and an EBIS manager, the selected candidate will perform data science for the Business Operations Directorate and other key institutional priorities. EBIS maintains stewardship over the ever-evolving Business IT portfolio supporting JPL's robust and complex business processes. EBIS also manages the full systems lifecycle across all major business processes, provides technical services and support, and strategically partners with JPL's communities. Current organizational initiatives include user interface / user experience design, data analytics, and embracing agile methodologies and tools.
Additionally, the IT Data Scientist will also be a member of the Audit Services and Institute Compliance (ASIC) organization and will provide the ASIC team with their data science expertise. The chosen candidate will design, implement, and maintain a program of data science within ASIC while leveraging the team's audit expertise.
The role requires a meticulous data scientist who loves discovering trends where none were visible before. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who possesses a strong desire and experience performing descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics. This will include creativity, tenacity, curiosity, and programming skills. Most importantly, the position must possess a strong passion to answer business questions working collaboratively with functional personnel, IT developers/analysts, and ASIC team members. ASIC management estimates a heavy emphasis on descriptive analytics when working with ASIC.
The IT Data Scientist will use skills in data gathering, data “munging”, creative data mining, and interactive data visualization to drive decisions and products. Will give exciting presentations where the data tells a compelling story. The ability to communicate comfortably with all levels of staff and management with professionalism and self-awareness is a must.
- Work with business-domain partners and ASIC team to identify opportunities where we can use data science to solve key business problems
- Analyze a wide variety of disparate data sets (of all sizes) using current and emerging modeling, data mining, visualization, and predictive analytics techniques
- Regular use of creativity and innovation to address important issues
- Contributes as a key team member on teams across various disciplines and functions
- Provides direction and mentoring to others within the organization on data quality, data visualization, and analytics
- Typically requires a Master’s degree in Data Science, Data Analytics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related discipline with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; Bachelor’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 3 years of related experience
- Working knowledge in one or more of the following areas: data science, machine learning, statistics, analytics, programming, data mining, databases, data integration, and communications
- Coursework or practical experience with data mining, predictive modeling, and prescriptive analytics
- Knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in data science and analytics
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Mathematics and statistics skills
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of data visualization principles
- Knowledge of extracting data using SQL
- Experience cleansing, transforming, and integrating real-world data using R and/or Python
- Experience effectively visualizing data using tools such as Tableau and communicating the data in a manner that diverse audiences can understand and utilize
- Effective presentation and storytelling skills
- Ability to create new prototypes with the creativity and thoroughness to ask and answer the deepest questions about the data and what secrets it holds
- Attention to detail with focus on accurately analyzing data and validating the results
- Ability to think creatively and to work well both as part of a team and as an individual contributor
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive data and/or subjects
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109