Software Computing System Co-Op for Curiosity Team
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As an Undergraduate Student Co-Op, you will be a member of Data Services Group (397G). We are looking for a student with strong object-oriented programming experience to work with the Mars Science Laboratory Engineering Operations Team. Tasks will involve developing software tools to aid in data analysis for the assessment of health and safety of the Curiosity rover. This will include improving existing tools, as well as creating new tools and capabilities for the operations team. Software tools include complex scripts for parsing and interpreting data in a Unix environment as well as visualization tools in web-based dashboards for trending analysis.
A strong candidate not only has strong programming abilities, but also a passion for space exploration and robotics and a desire to learn about the systems they are helping to analyze. System level understanding and context is crucial to making sure the software developed will truly support the end users and be maintainable.
- Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited 4-year college or university in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related.
- Ability to typically intern at least 6 months full time while pursuing a degree.
- Minimum 3.0 out of 4.0 cumulative GPA.
- Experience and knowledge in organizing code in a robust, maintainable, easy to read way, sufficiently comments code, able to document user’s guides and create training materials when necessary
- Completed coursework with exposure to standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering
- Comfortable in Unix environments
- Familiarity with Bash and PERL
- Front-end web development experience including data visualization. Experience building database queries to retrieve data is also a plus, especially for Elasticsearch databases
- Experience working with data in formats such as JSON, XML and CSV tables
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with general supervision
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109