Industrial Security Support I
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is seeking an Industrial Security Support Specialist for our HQ in Pasadena, CA. The Industrial Security Support Specialist will be an integral part of JPL's Special Program Office, part of the Protective Services Division. Reporting to the Office Manager, this person will be responsible for duties that include (but are not limited to):
- A variety of administrative duties in support of security procedures and requirements, including monitoring access to classified areas, assisting with processing of security clearance paperwork; processing and maintaining confidential and classified materials, day to day security related activities supporting facilities management, procedure development and documentation and support of Special Programs. Will perform ad-hoc duties and assist other Protective Services Division Groups as required. Will exercise good judgment and use professional discretion in dealing with all levels of JPL employees and contractors/affiliates as well as NASA civil servants.
Typically requires High School with 6 years of related experience, Associates with 1 years of related experience, or related required training
- Solid understanding of general job aspects of industrial security procedures with prior Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) experience to include opening/closing SCIF facilities and escorting.
- Monitors access at the Special Programs entry desk and updates records as required.
- Assists employees/ consultants in the preparation and timely submittal of paperwork for initial security clearances.
- Prepares and transmits classified material via fax, registered mail, or data ports.
- Monitors classified material and verifies document requests.
- May prepare courier documentation per government and Laboratory guidelines.
- Controls, tracks and processes classified visit requests.
- Interacts with direct supervisor and more senior employees on a regular basis.
- Participates on teams within own organization; may participate on a team outside own organization.
- Must be effective at prioritizing and coordinating multiple assignments
- Must demonstrate a positive and professional attitude with excellent customer service skills and collaboration ability.
- Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor with all levels of the workforce including executive management, research, scientist and engineers, government/civil servants, contractors and foreign nationals.
- Must have flexibility to change work schedule from 9/80 to 5/40 or vice versa depending on operational needs.
- Must have strong organizational skills and have flexibility in working in a fast-paced team environment
- Must have excellent written & oral communication skills
- Provide specific weekly & monthly reports to Office Manager
Must be a U.S. Citizen with an active Top Secret (TS) clearance based upon Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) within 5 year scope and approved or previously approved for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) accesses.
Prior Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) work experience to include opening and closing SCIF facilities and escorting.
Prior Counterintelligence experience and familiarity with Foreign Travel and Foreign Contact reporting processes for SCI cleared employees.
Note: Preferred candidate identified
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109