Staff Assistant II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We seek a self-motivated individual who can work well both independently and in a team environment to serve as a Group Staff Assistant Level II providing administrative & clerical support to multiple technical groups within the Section. This is primarily an administrative support position demonstrating a solid customer orientation, great organizational skills, and agility and flexibility in the performance of the job. You will be working with JPL's Reliability Engineering and Mission Environmental Assurance Section which ensures the reliability of flight system hardware and evaluates the mission environment to ensure reliable operation in the harsh conditions a spacecraft may encounter over the mission lifetime.
Your responsibilities include:
- Providing oﬃce support to multiple technical groups
- Assist in the proofreading, editing, preparation and distribution of Interoffice Memorandum (IOMs) via the section’s on-line IOM system
- Prioritizing work and completing assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Assisting technical staff as a Subject Matter Expert for Timekeeping.
- Serving as Subject Matter Expert in Travel including preparing and processing foreign and domestic travel, generating travel reports, and escorting visitors as necessary
- Procuring office and technical supplies using the JPL Purchase Card (P-Card) and other purchasing systems (iProcurement)
- Coordinating meetings via Outlook and arranging virtual meeting spaces via WebEx.
- Coordinating office moves and preparing for new hires
- Assisting in updating Work Authorizations Memoranda (WAMs); coordinating on-site and off-site workshops and conferences
- Regularly supporting multiple and varied ad hoc assignments.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Solid understanding of general job aspects specifically in the office operations profession with strong organizational skills.
- Thorough understanding of office procedures and office automation applications: MS Office, Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook; applies knowledge and skills in this area.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple tasks while meeting commitments with high quality results and output.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and tools to enhance and/or improve office procedures and processes.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to perform activities and resolve unusual or nonstandard problems.
- Excellent customer service and teaming skills.
- Proven success in the administrative support profession with the ability to maintain patience and composure in a dynamic work environment that includes interruptions and changing priorities.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgement in any necessary resolution.
- Must be a team player with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of JPL policies, procedures, and practices.
- Experience using JPL business tools, such as Concur, P-card, WAM, Property Manager Gateway Administrator, and JPL-ID.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel processes and requirements.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in timekeeping, travel, and calendaring.
- General understanding of facilities, safety, property and applies knowledge and skills in these areas.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109