Human Centered Designer III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Enterprise and Information Systems Engineering Section provides information-oriented cross-cutting engineering processes, tools, and services across the Engineering and Science Directorate (ESD) and the Office of Safety and Mission Success (OSMS). The Section primarily engages in the production, exchange, management, and protection of data, information, and knowledge throughout the entire engineering development lifecycle.
Do you have a passion for space exploration and computer aided engineering? Are you a strategic thinker and enjoy the challenge of developing and improving engineering practices and processes? We seek a self-motivated individual who can work well both inndependently and in a team environment to serve as a Human Centered Designer/User Experience Researcher. Reporting functionally to the Engineering Tools and Data Management (319E) Group Supervisor and programmatically to the Systems and Software Environments Computer Aided Enginneering (SSwE CAE) task lead. SSwE CAE provides an integrated environment of tools for software and systems development. For example, the software environment is a turnkey platform that projects and software developers can use to design, develop, version and configuration manage, test with continuous integration, release, package, and deploy software.
We are seeking an energetic and experienced Human Centered User Experience Researcher/Designer to refine the user experience of the software and systems tool environments being used by engineers and scientists across the laboratory. This is a position for someone who is customer-focused, reacts well to change, can work independently or with teams and is able to multi-task on multiple products and projects. A passion or curiosity for space is also a big plus. This person will collaborate with the SSwE CAE team including other designers, software developers, systems engineers, and leadership on:
- Requirements discovery, refinement and validation through the identification and evaluation of new and existing use cases
- Prototyping and design of interfaces, interactions, and patterns for SSwE CAE tools
- Conducting user research on existing tools, workflows, behaviors, features and needs analysis
- Identification of gaps in user needs and development opportunities
- Helping the team prioritize and define the development roadmap
- Communication of user research results to stakeholders and fellow designer/researchers in a consistent and clear manner
- Design, prototyping, validation and refinement of identified solutions
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, or related discipline with 6 years of relevant experience; Master's degree in a related discipline with 4 years of relevant experiencewith 4 years; Ph.D in a related discipline with 2 years of relevant experience. Education may be substituted with significant industry experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of UX research methods for enterprise tools
- An understanding of enterprise design best practices
- A portfolio of design projects showing a strong human-centered approach and based on research.
- Experience organizing and moderating both individual research sessions and group research.
- Have a strong grasp of research methods and data analysis, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Storyboarding, wireframing, mockup and prototyping skills.
- Understanding of Agile Scrum practices and philosophies
- Experience with enterprise class software and systems development lifecycle tools such as Git, Jenkins, Artifactory, Docker, Jupyter, Cameo Systems Modeler.
- Experience with Open Model-Based Engineering Environment (MBEE)
- Familiarity with Web 2.0 technologies and approaches including microservices, REST, CSS, HTML.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109