Staff Assistant IV
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As a Directorate Staff Assistant, you will be relied upon to perform in an administrative support position to the Directorate Staff. This position is a member of the Business Operations Section Office and reports to the Directorate Business Administration Manager.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in managing the very dynamic calendars of the OSMS Directorate Staff including, conferences and travel - foreign and domestic
- Process expense reports
- Plan and coordinate special events, meetings, retreats, assemblies, conference calls, etc.
- Serve as the point of contact and resource for all Directorate Office Personnel
- Compose, edit, and proofread a wide range of correspondence, presentations, proposals, reports, award certificates, etc.
- Design, develop, prepare graphics and charts for Executive presentations
- Maintain the Directorate website
- Take, transcribe, and distribute management meeting minutes
- Submit visit/badge request for domestic and foreign visitors and affiliates
- P-card purchases, process requisitions and iProcurement orders
- Update WAMs and other ad hoc assignments
- Serve as the OSMS coordinator for JPL’s Annual “Explore JPL” event
- Escort visitors as needed
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 10 years of related experience; Associate’s degree with a minimum of 6 year of related experience; or a Bachelor’s degree with 3 year of related experience.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to establish and implement process improvements.
- Solid understanding of job aspects specifically in the office operations profession with strong organizational skills.
- Thorough understanding of office procedures and office automation applications: MS Office, Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook; applies knowledge and skills in this area.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple tasks while meeting commitments with high quality results and output.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and tools to enhance and/or improve office procedures and processes.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to perform activities and resolve unusual or nonstandard problems.
- Excellent customer service and teaming skills.
- Proven success in the administrative support profession with the ability to maintain patience and composure in a dynamic work environment that includes interruptions and changing priorities.
- Must be a team player with excellent written and oral communication skills and exercises proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and dealing with sensitive material.
- Strong graphic design skills
- Extensive understanding of JPL policies, procedures, and practices.. Experience with JPL tools such as Docushare, JPLID, UCS, Property, Travel and Timekeeping.
- Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement. Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures.
- Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to multitask and meet established deadlines
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109