Mission Systems Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Will be a Senior Mission Systems Engineer reporting programmatically to Special Programs and administratively to the Mission Systems Engineer Group.
Will be a member of the leadership team responsible for planning, developing and deploying the mission system. Will provide technical leadership in the implementation, I&T and transition of operations products This is a position for an energetic and multi-disciplined mission engineer who is customer-focused, articulate, reacts well to changes, can multi-task, and work well independently and within a team environment.
- Functional architecture design description
- Mission System internal and external interface definition
- Development of mission operations processes and procedures
- Lead development of the mission system timelines and operational activities
- Leading design efforts as needed to conduct trades or resolve technical issues
Must be a U.S. Citizen with an active Top Secret (TS) clearance based upon Single Scope Background investigation (SBBI) within a 5-year scope and must be approved for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) accesses.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; or a Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or Ph.D in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Direct experience in DoD systems engineering lifecycle
- Knowledge and experience in applicable DoD policies and procedures pertaining to Ground Systems and Mission Operations
- Experience in working DoD external technical interfaces
- Experience in complex ground systems
- Experience with Linux and Python
- Has significant experience leading teams to develop effective mission systems.
- Wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge in mission system products including mission operations system architecture; trade studies; requirements definition, flow down, and validation; developing interface definitions; and developing mission operations processes and procedures.
- Proven record in developing [two or more of the following areas]: operations concepts, scenarios, requirements, processes, and procedures.
- Proven ability to work effectively with program space system engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to perform highly complex and unique job functions and activities, including working in concert with system engineers to provide solutions that meet their needs.
- Proven ability to develop innovative CONOPs leveraging from available capabilities
- Must have proactive team building strategies, excellent communication skills, including the ability to write and review technical documentation, and to productively interface with all levels of management.
An active TS/SCI security clearance is required for this position.
- Extensive ground system experience.
- Multi-discipline technical knowledge relating to space system, ground system, and operations development.
- Knowledge of operability issues and space-ground trades.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in system engineering. Demonstrated ability to make trades involving spacecraft operability, mission science return, and risk. In-depth knowledge of risk management.
- Prior experience working in a 24x7, high-availability, operations engineering environment.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109