Senior Cybersecurity Architect
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Are you passionate about technology? Do you love building new things? Do you want to develop the future of JPL’s infrastructure? If you answered YES, then we have the right opportunity for you!
At Jet Propulsion Laboratory, we depend on innovation and technical excellence to develop IT systems that provide the edge we need to explore the universe. We are looking for a Cybersecurity Architect to join our team who is innovative and shares our passion for technology.
As a Cybersecurity Architect with extensive systems and software background and industry experience maintaining an organizational cybersecurity architecture, you will use your expertise in complexity analysis and large-scale system design to tackle complex problems and continually improve systems and processes related to our cybersecurity architecture.
- Designs and defines highly complex, critical and diverse architectures for firewalls, electronic data traffic, and network access involved in security systems.
- Researches and applies most suitable encryption technology, penetration and vulnerability tools.
- Performs highly complex and critical analysis of emerging security technologies and information technology security research.
- Designs and executes highly complex security controls to include security policies and procedures consistent with State, Federal and JPL contractual obligations.
- Evaluates attempted efforts to compromise security protocols and develops protective measures and recommends solutions; advises management.
- Analyzes highly complex data to assess risk; advises management.
- Oversees the evaluation of information to maintain knowledge of the suitability of off-the-shelf solutions for maintaining security controls.
- Applies wide ranging experience and advanced knowledge to oversee the monitoring and reporting of highly complex issues for network security systems (LAN/WAN, telecommunications, voice systems) and/or information systems.
- Communicates JPL Cyber Architecture and represents the Section at Project Review Boards and represents JPL at industry functions.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Cybersecurity Policy or other relevant discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; or Master's degree in relevant discipline with 6 years’ experience or Ph.D with 4 years in relevant discipline.
- Expert knowledge in Cybersecurity technologies.
- Expert knowledge of the cybersecurity compliance frameworks applicable to the role, e.g. NIST 800-53 Rev. 4, ISO 27001, DHS ICAM Guidance.
- Experience with building an organizational cybersecurity program.
- Cybersecurity: knowledge and understanding of cybersecurity principles such as firewalls, network access control, secure authentication methods, IDS/IPS, host based security technologies, vulnerability management technologies.
- Knowledge and experience with Cloud technologies.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109