HR Business Partner
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is seeking a Human Resources professional to join our Talent Specialists team at our HQ in Pasadena, CA. The Talent Specialist will support the HR needs of JPL’s Engineering & Science Directorate (ESD) at the Section level. ESD provides the engineers, scientists, technologists, computer scientists, mathematicians, business professionals, machinists, and technicians in every discipline required to both enable and build one-of-a-kind space missions that yield scientific discoveries. We bring together the resources of a diverse community of people, equipment and facilities in-work processes that are ingrained in the culture of the organization.
This is a relatively new role at JPL, providing an exciting opportunity to help build and implement core Talent Management practices that support the workforce and help move the business forward. As a Talent Specialist, you will provide development, coordination and support to a Section in the execution of talent development and support activities including (but not limited to):
- Support continuous coaching of employees by assessing content, timing and effectiveness of conversations
- Implement and execute an approach for both leadership planning and workforce planning that ensures the right talent in the right place at the right time within a highly matrixed environment.
- Facilitate the annual salary review (ASR) process and ensure alignment of annual coaching conversations (ACC) with compensation decisions and communications to employees
- Develop a structured process for high-potential identification, facilitating unique development activities and job assignments
- Develop a strategic approach to Rewards & Recognition ensuring high-value touch-points aligned with talent performance
- Facilitate the identification and development of custom training (technical and developmental)
- Develop human capital based predicative analytics/leading indicators, dashboards and metrics that support action planning and decision making for the Section.
- Lead and maintain all new-hire onboarding processes
- Collaborate with Recruiting team auditing open requisitions, supporting candidate engagement, screening candidates and developing a pipeline of external and internal talent.
- Facilitate and handle human factors activities such as office moves, management meetings and team development activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Communications, Business or related field with 6+ years of related experience, Master's degree preferred
- Extensive experience coaching senior managers and above, with specific coaching and management communication training strongly preferred
- Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in such areas as talent management, organizational assessment, employee relations, legal compliance, change management, and organizational design.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, listening, and relationship-building abilities
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to handle ambiguity, risk, and changing direction of projects and strategies.
- Excellent communication (e.g., writing and presentation) skills and customer service skills
- Strong influencing skills and ability to build and maintain highly effective working relationships across all areas of the business
- Demonstrable track record of leading and implementing organization-wide process improvement initiatives within a technical environment
- Ability to understand management strategy and priorities to consequently establish talent management as a critical business discipline in organizations
- Ability to effectively navigate in a matrixed environment
- Active credentials with international coaching organization (preferably ICF)
- Experience supporting science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) teams highly preferred
- Degree(s) or experience in a technical area such as Engineering, Statistics or Software.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109