Section Staff Assistant, Radar Science & Engineering (334)
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As a Section Staff Assistant for the Radar Science & Engineering Section (334), you will provide administrative support for Section Management, the Business Administration Manager and technical staff. This is a position that requires solid customer service, strong organizational skills and flexibility in the performance of the job. Must be a motivated and collaborative team player, detail-oriented, with ability to take initiative to establish and implement process-improvements and have a willingness to learn. Will be a member of the Business Administration Section (3314) and report to the Business Administration Manager.
Tasks for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the lead to the Section’s Staff Assistant team to develop and improve processes and procedures.
- Coordinate and maintain busy and complex calendars; schedule and maintain technical interchange meetings, set up and host WebEx conference calls.
- Processing and preparing complex domestic and foreign travel logistics/bookings, authorization requests, and expense reports.
- Scheduling meetings via Outlook and maintain conference room schedules.
- Processing procurement requests via P-card and iProcurement orders.
- Processing affiliate badge requests for domestic and foreign visitors, and escorting, as necessary.
- Assisting with preparation of presentations, graphics, and website inputs, including proofreading and editing.
- Coordinate special events for the Section, such as workshops and conferences.
- Participate on teams within the section; may also participate on teams outside of the section.
- Other ad hoc duties, as assigned.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 8 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Extensive expertise in the administrative profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent planning and scheduling skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to establish and implement process improvements.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment in any necessary resolution.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and provide excellent customer service.
- Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
- Experience in a technical group or section office environment.
- Experience with JPL tools such as JPLID, UCS, Concur Travel, and Timekeeping.
- Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement.
- Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures.
- Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
- Teaming skills and professionalism in interfacing with all levels of personnel within and across multiple organizations.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109