Staff Assistant IV
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are looking for a motivated and dedicated Staff Assistant Level 4 who will be a member of the Earth Science and Technology Directorate’s Business Administration Office. You will report directly to the Business Manager.
The Staff Level 4 will provide support to the Surface Water Topography and Sentinel-6 missions.
Tasks include but not limited to:
Responsible for coordinating day-to-day activities in the Project Office.
Arrange complex programmatic and conference travel, both domestic and foreign for project management.
Assist with managing complex calendars, schedules, and meetings for project management and senior managers.
Support complex remote meeting activities for the Project Office, oversee conference room logistics, and ensure equipment is operational, support multi-party and domestic and international WebEx (voice/data/video) sessions.
Provide setup and hosting support for Project Office meetings, events, VIP visits, workshop and reviews.
Assist in the development and preparation of review materials and complex graphics for conferences, reports, and senior management reviews.
Assist with the Project Offce significant events process, assist in organizing and transmitting data for monthly and quarterly reviews, and maintaining associated web tools and data. Facilitate and coordinate with technical SMEs to effectively provide support (i.e with on-boarding and ensuring physical, JPL network, and data access).
Responsible for completing assignments that are discreet in nature and require considerable judgment and discretion. Will provide additional support to the Project Office that includes answering phones, processing visitor requests (domestic and international), ordering and maintaining office supplies, and other duties as assigned.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 10 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; or Bachelors degree with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; related required training.
- Advanced understanding of both general and detailed aspects of work techniques in the secretarial or administrative assistant professions including knowledge of practical applications to problems and situations ordinarily encountered in a secretarial or administrative role.
- Advanced understanding of executive office processes and procedures and applied knowledge and skills in this area.
- Excellent planning and scheduling skills.
- Advanced composition and editing skills; excellent typing, spelling, and grammar.
- Excellent PC computer and MS Office skills proficiency in drafting original materials in Word, creating Excel spreadsheets and powerpoint presentation chart; experience accessing and updating electronic libraries and various data repositories.
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently to meet commitments and deadlines, and deliver high quality products.
- Extensive experience with domestic and foreign travel processes, applications, and regulations.
- Extensive experience with travel authorizations & expense reports; experience administering foreign travel forecasts.
- Extensive experience managing multiple/complex Outlook calendars.
- Ability to interact with all levels of personnel; experience working with senior and executive management.
- Advanced understanding of applicable policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability handling confidential and sensitive information.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109