Staff Assistant III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
This unique opportunity is for a Staff Assistant III in the OSMS (Office of Safety and Mission Success) Directorate Office, reporting directly to the Directorate Business Administration Manager. OSMS strives to inspire the JPL family to do the right thing for the right reasons through: Safety, knowledge, judgement, risk management, innovative solutions, collaboration, and proactive engagement. OSMS is the home to Occupational Safety, Environmental Affairs, Mission Assurance, and Planetary Protection.
We are looking for an agile and motivated individual who will be mentored and trained by the Directorate to gradually grow into the role and take on additional responsibilities.
Tasks are as follows but not limited to:
- Assist in providing clerical support to members of the Directorate staff
- Back up Executive Staff Coordinator, as needed
- Coordinate and maintain multiple dynamic calendars and meetings
- Coordinate conference room scheduling
- Process and prepare domestic and foreign travel itineraries, authorization requests, and expense reports.
- Handle foreign travel and forecasting
- Process visit requests and escort visitors as needed
- Assist in coordinating special events for the Directorate, such as all-hands, management retreats, seminars, and other Directorate-related activities
- Maintain office supplies, process procurements by utilizing iProcurement, purchase requisitions, and p-cards
- Serve as the Directorate’s “Records Liaison” in accordance with the provisions of JPL Records Management
- Assist with property/asset inventory
- Update and maintain the Directorate’s website, office signage, and org charts
- Compose and edit correspondence and presentation materials such as PowerPoint
- Serve as the Directorate's Docushare Librarian
- Other ad hoc duties, as assigned
Typically requires a High School diploma with 8 years of related experience; Associates degree with 4 years of related experience; or Bachelor’s degree with 1 years of related experience.
Successful candidates will have:
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Possess a high level of responsibility
- Work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments and expectations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interact effectively with all levels of personnel
- Exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Be a team player
- Strong computer skills including, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Willingness to learn and grow
- Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
- Experience in a technical group or section office environment.
- Experience with JPL tools such as JPLID, UCS, Concur Travel, and Timekeeping.
- Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement.
- Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures.
- Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
- Teaming skills and professionalism in interfacing with all levels of personnel within and across multiple organizations.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109