Scanning Electron Microscopy Part Time Internship
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
This opportunity is in the Analysis and Test Laboratory which provides a broad range of analytical capabilities supporting qualification, testing and failure analysis of components intended for space applications. This specific role will be primarily working in the SEM / FIB area and assist in bringing new applications online, such as nanoprobing, electron backscatter diffraction and advanced circuit imaging techniques. Will assist in supporting analyses and producing reports support various flight projects.
- Must be currently enrolled and taking courses at least half-time at an accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in a STEM-related technical discipline.
- Completed coursework with exposure to standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in engineering
- Must be available to work between 15-30 hours per week
- Knowledge and experience with MS Office.
- Must have a Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Willing to learn; self-motivated.
- Prior JPL internship experience in engineering areas.
- Participation in student organizations.
- Self-starter that can work with minimal supervision.
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) experience
- Focused Ion Beam Microscope (FIB) experience
- Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS) experience
- Sample preparation experience
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109